Aloysius Braithwope teaches history, deportment, manners, etiquette, and genteel dress at Mademoiselle Geraldine's Finishing Academy for Young Ladies of Quality. His classroom looks like a comfortable sitting room. He is a vampire, and also teaches vampire lore and defense.
The professor is a very pale, unassuming man with dark eyes, spectacles and a mustache that seems to have a life of its own. He wears very flashy clothing.
In the past, Braithwope was a carnival artist. He liked heights too much to stay on the ground, and so took the risk of tethering himself to Mademoiselle Geraldine's. After his tether snap accident, he spends much of his time balancing on exposed parts of the ship.
Unlike most vampires, who are tethered to a location, Professor Braithwope is tethered to Mademoiselle Geraldine's. He becomes the first supernatural creature to enter the aetherosphere during an experiment in London. This attempt does not go well—once the ship enters the aetherosphere, the Professor goes mad and throws himself off its deck, severing his tether to the ship. After this accident, his behavior becomes increasingly erratic.
After the school was crash landed and subsequently demolished for scrap, Professor Braithwope was never officially seen again. Rumors in nearby areas tell of an odd hermit living in the wilds of Dartmoor, wearing a top hat and waltzing with the rabbits.
Braithwope has several secret drones aboard the ship, including:
In the books Edit
- "Old Fangs" to the girls.
- Says "Whot, whot?" all the time.
- “He was very pale and boasted an unassuming mustache, which was perched atop his upper lip cautiously, as though it were slightly embarrassed to be there and would like to slide away and become a sideburn or something more fashionable.” (Etiquette & Espionage, Lesson Five)
- "Professor Braithwope, shimmering out of his room fully clothed and dapper. His mustache was a fluffy caterpillar of curiosity, perched and ready to inquire, dragging the vampire along behind it on the investigation." (Curtsies & Conspiracies, The 5th Test)
- “Professor Braithwope was undergoing a very dangerous test indeed. For queen and country, the potentate had said. For science, Sophronia thought.” (Curtsies & Conspiracies, The 13th Test)
- "Poppycock,' said the potentate. 'Professor Braithwope would never bite without invitation." (Curtsies & Conspiracies, The 14th Test)
- “It was their vampire teacher’s custom of late to administer decidedly oddball lessons. Which is to say, more oddball than an ordinary lesson with a vampire in a floating dirigible espionage school.” (Waistcoats & Weaponry, Session One)
- “He might have lost his mind, but never his fashion sense.” (Manners & Mutiny, Crisis Four)